Friday, February 28, 2014

The Traveling Diaries No.9

"On the other side of the Atlantic"
by Angelic Roman




The final and third city on our week-long trip was Porto, Portugal. Now this city truly took me by surprise; at the beginning of our journey we were all ready for the adventure & I ( always looking for the fashionable angle) encountered true serendipity. I'll tell you how it happened, one evening my roommates and I decided to take a stroll along the river when I spotted a copper statue which looked like a cobbler. Imagine my perfect delight to find out that Porto, Portugal is home to a history of shoe cobbling and to this day is home to many footwear production companies. 

Portugal is actually the 11th largest exporter of shoes. I found a great article from the New York Times here. Also, I would encourage anyone else interested in shoes to check out Portugalshoes.com For me, this gem of a find went tucked away into my file for future contacts. The design here is rich, something that was apparent from the very start with its beautiful tiled churches and mix of rustic charm and modern aesthetic.









No comments:

Post a Comment